Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Sleep Training E

E is now 9 months old. I know every parent says this, but it's true-where in the world does the time go? It seems like just yesterday we came home from the hospital. The day we left the hospital will always hold a special place in my heart because it was my birthday! Truly the best birthday gift in the world.

E started out sleeping next to me in our bed. When he was a couple months old I started putting him in the co-sleeper. Those things are absolutely wonderful! If you are a new parent, or a parent-to-be, I highly recommend getting a co-sleeper. It makes nighttime nursing so much easier, and the baby can have his/her own space without being too far from mama. E has been almost crawling out of the sleeper for months now, so I would usually end up putting him between us in the bed at some point during the night. We had J's old crib at my parents house and we needed to get it asap! The main reason we didn't do it sooner was because J and E would have to share a room. I didn't think J was quite ready to share until now.

We set up the crib on Sunday night. To be honest, I was completely dreading the transition and all the training that goes into it. I'm happy to report that E is doing so well! He only woke up once on Sunday night. He ate around 3am, and he fell back asleep in my arms before I set him down. Monday night was tough, he ate three or four times, and I slept most of the night with him in the recliner. I fed him for the last time at 5am and he slept until 9:30am! I was starting to worry, he never sleeps that late. Last night was better, he was still awake when I put him in the crib at 7:30, and even settled himself to sleep. Woohoo!

E has never been a consistent napper no matter what I've done. He sleeps in the car a lot, or will sleep on my lap. Anytime I set him down he wakes up. I have tried different places, methods, times, you name it and nothing worked. I figured since we just introduced the crib I should make naps part of that equation as well. I'm so glad I did! The first two days he cried and refused to stay in his crib. One of the afternoon naps he just played happily in his crib for half an hour. This morning he went down easily, settled himself in and stayed asleep. It's been 45min and he is still sleeping peacefully.

I think this transition was easy for us because E is a little older and he is comfortable with the fact that sometimes mama disappears, but she always comes back! I don't think this would have gone over well if he was only a few months old. There would have been lots of tears from mama and baby alike!

I am so glad he likes his crib, and happy to have my bed back. I'm sure my husband would agree! What works for you and your babies when it comes to sleep? Is there anything you wish you had done differently?

No comments:

Post a Comment