Friday, April 12, 2013

Travel

I was going to post my manicure from today, but I didn't get the chance. I nicked a nail peeling potatoes this evening. I thought it was fixable, until I broke another one doing dishes. It was a lost cause, so I just hacked them all off. I know why this happened, I got my order of Glacier Bay Blues in the mail today and I was dying to wear it. Now I have to let my stubs grow out. Anyway, on to plan B!

Today I was reminiscing about the vacations we took when I was a kid. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was so lucky my parents were teachers! Two months in the summer to take our sweet time traveling up the coast, camping, and exploring. Ever since then I have been in love with road trips. Before my kids were born I took a few trips to California, New Mexico, and Las Vegas, but nothing more than that. I never got the opportunity to travel the whole country like I wanted to. Anytime you have the chance to travel, do it! I really feel like I missed out on some memorable experiences. I regret that for sure.

I am practically counting down the days until the boys are a little older, at the age where they would appreciate a long road trip. I would love to recreate a cross country Route 66 trip. Starting in Chicago and working our way back to LA would be a blast. It's a shame that most places in America have become completely commercialized. I remember when I was younger there were still many independent businesses around. Now it'll be a little more difficult to find them, more like a treasure hunt.

I would have to say Lincoln City, Oregon is my favorite off-the-beaten-path town, and San Diego is my favorite big city. What are your favorite places? Any unique restaurants, shops, parks, or camp grounds? I would love to hear about them!

2 comments:

  1. Seattle is my favorite big city! My favorite French bakery is in West Seattle, Bakery Nouveau. http://www.bakerynouveau.com/welcome/ The pastry chef there won a ginormous trophy in France for his skills. The pastries, cakes, and even sandwiches are TO DIE FOR!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to keep that bakery in mind, we're headed to Seattle this summer. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete