Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Chocolate Cake with Whipped Cream Frosting

I used to be the one who baked every single thing from scratch. Then I had kids, and well, I realized there is no shame in using a boxed mix every once in a while! Anything that saves time is worth a try. The key to making a boxed mix taste homemade is to add your own spin to it, don't follow the directions on the box.

I never use frosting in a can because I think it tastes horrible, it's always sickeningly sweet. I love homemade whipped cream, and it is easier to make than other frostings. I don't add much sugar and I think it complements the rich cake perfectly. You might like yours more sweet-you can always add a little more sugar! I also like to add gelatin to the whipped cream to stabilize it. It won't deflate into a watery mess and you can have a perfect cake for days, that is if you can keep from stuffing your face :-)


Here is my go to cake recipe:



Chocolate Cake with Whipped Cream Frosting 

One box of Betty Crocker chocolate fudge cake mix
3 eggs, beaten 
1 1/2 C water
1/3 C olive oil
2/3 C Greek yogurt
2 tsp vanilla  

Preheat oven to 325 if you are using a nonstick pan, or 350 if you are using a glass pan. 
Mix everything together until just combined. Bake in a greased 13x9 pan for 30-35 minutes. Check it early, you don't want it to dry out! 

While cake is cooling gather these ingredients for your whipped cream frosting:

2 tsp unflavored gelatin (just under one envelope)
2 Tbsp cold water
1 pint heavy whipping cream 
2-3 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp vanilla, or one vanilla bean, scraped 

Put the water in a small microwave safe dish and sprinkle gelatin over it. Let it sit until the gelatin has absorbed all the water. Microwave for 15-30 seconds-it will melt, but be careful you don't want it boiling over. Oops, I may have done just that! Whip cream in a stand mixer, just before soft peaks form add the sugar, vanilla, and liquid gelatin mixture. Whip little longer to insure the ingredients are well combined. 

Frost the cake once it's completely cool. Now you're ready to eat! You can make this ahead of time, the whipped cream keeps its texture for at least a few days. I don't know exactly how long it will keep...c'mon it's cake! In my house? Me *and* my husband? Two days, max.

Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment